Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Out of Sync Child....Master Paul

Paul has been diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder. I like to refer to it as Sensory Integration Difference. (sounds more positive!) There is a great book for parents who have come face to face with this challenge...The Out of Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz. Paul has minor case of it, but nonetheless, he is a child who is out of sync and needs understanding and help to overcome the obstacles. SPD is the inability to use information received though the senses in order to function smoothly in daily life. An umbrella term to cover a variety of neurological disabilities.

The severe parts of his dysfunction includes interacting with others, fear of crowds/large groups and the inability to use pragmatic language skills and he often does not seem to understand what you are asking him. Paul is most definitely a sensory seeking boy. He seems to want more of everything. Bear hugs/being squeezed; fast movement; spinning; chews on items such as furniture, clothes, any object really; likes to push things around; sniffs food and other items; licks and tastes everything; drools all the time. And he is a very sensitive child.

I am taking Paul to see a pediatric ENT this afternoon. We're going to get his hearing tested and see if his adenoids are enlarged.

Last night one of our local TV gals, Shelly Miles, held a fundraiser for Brighton. This is the nonprofit helping Paul. Their services are free to us. Praise God!! Paul and I went as Danny had CFP study group. We said hello to Miss Shelly and then sat down and ate some fajitas. It was very overwhelming for me and at one point, I began to cry. The owner of the restaurant was near me and came right over and chatted with me. Louis reminded me that life is a marathon and we need to keep on keepin on! Amen brother!

** Dear Shelly - it is rather ironic that La Haicienda de Los Barrios was the location for your fundraiser. When I was pregnant with Paul I was extremely ill for 25 weeks and all I really wanted or could eat was Mexican food. So, off we went twice a week to La Hacienda. Then, the manager Josh Riley helped us plan my baby shower there in April 2005. So, when I saw the dinner was going to be there..I thought..we've come full circle..sort of anyway! A huge thank you to Shelly and the staff at La Hacienda for raising money for a wonderful asset in our community! Danny and I are forever grateful for the folks at Brighton and all the support and help we are receiving.

Remember friends..praise God for your struggles too..not just your successes!

Peace....
40 Days Until Christmas!

1 comment:

Osh said...

Evan had his adnoids out around the same age that Paul is.
I remember thinking "oh, they will come out and my boy will be perfect"

I can't say it anough how lucky Paul is to have a mommy like you and how lucky you are to have a boy like Paul!