Friday, October 26, 2007

Paul is busy with all kinds of new women in his life....




If you are an adult male---don't you wish you could say that?! Ha


Seriously though, many of you know that our little boy has had some challenges. And while a little bit might be 2 year old things, the majority of his issues is due to a disorder: Sensory Integration. While he doesn't have ALL the symptoms, he does exhibit many and as a result, a local nonprofit in SA is helping him and us--and his teachers. Thank God for people and places like Brighton. Paul has 2 occupational therapists, one speech therapist, a social worker (helping us with his pre school) and a nutritionist. Whew---all lovely, caring, talented and supportive women! DeeDee (an occup therapist) visited us at home recently and gave me what is called a Therapressure Brush--see above. You rub it on Paul's arms, legs and back only and as you "brush" him - put some pressure/muscle into it. Dang--it works like a charm to calm him down. If you have ever had a massage---you know how it calms you and puts you in a trance -- does the same for my little boy.


The first step of the involves providing deep pressure to the skin on the arms, back, and legs through the use of a special surgical brush. An appropriate analogy would be that it is like giving someone a deep massage using a surgical brush. The use of the brush in a slow and methodical manner provides consistent deep-pressure input to a wide area of the skin surface on the body. The face and stomach are never brushed.
Following the "massage" stage, the child receives gentle compressions to the shoulders, elbows, wrists/fingers, hips, knees/ankles, and sternum. These compressions provide substantial proprioceptive input. our goal is for children to no longer illustrate sensory defensiveness which interferes with normal development.


For Paul---should help him deal with other children encroaching in his space.....dealing better with large groups of people and sudden, loud noises. Possibly help him to be less of a picky eater...the need to put everything in his mouth...I could go on and on! Another item we need to try and use at home and in school - Bendeez. Paul can fidget with them and chew on them and therefore might not distract teachers or peers in classroom. And another tool is called the DRIVE THRU MENU cards. It is truly amazing how much is out there to help us parents who are dealing with this issue. Thank goodness I am not working outside the home, or I would not have the time to do all this therapy for Paul and researching and reading and learning in order to help my son. One thing is for certain-- the teachers and staff at St. Mark's need to redirect ANY negative vibes/feelings/thoughts or frustrations...because my little boy senses it and reacts to it. And I might add--reacts in a not so nice manner. Which then only gets the teachers more anxious and all that comes with those feelings. Paul needs calm people around him. And yes, I can be calm those of you who are wondering.... I have seen dramatic changes in Paul over the last 2 months with Mommy remaining more calm and collected.



I need to do some chores around here while Paul is napping. Thanks for reading and I ask for your support and prayers as we continue to move forward with all this and hope it will help Paul and he can develop/grow and attend a Catholic University...oh is that too much pressure for a 2 year old?! :-)


Blessings and joy to all of you!

3 comments:

Osh said...

Susan...Evan had brush therapy for the first 4 years...he was just asking me where can I get a brush for him...he wants to go back to brushing.

How awesome you get to be home for Paul!

Susan Niño said...

AMEN sister! I may have some debt and old cars, and a house that needs new carpet--but Paul has his Mommy around 24/7!!!

Tasha Riley said...

I followed you here through Maile's site. I am a speech therapist out in California and even though I worked with OTs I never brought my son in for an assessment. But now I am thinking it might have helped, it still might help now and he's six. Good for you for checking into it early!