Tuesday, October 9, 2007

ASSORTMENT

It’s Not What We Know, But What We Do That Matters - How many times have you read a new book, been to a great seminar, or learned some wonderful new piece of information that inspired you, but, for a myriad of reasons (you got busy, you didn’t write it down, life got hard, etc.) you didn’t put it into action? This is something that happens a lot for many of us. We have the best intentions, but then life gets in the way, right? When it comes to creating real growth and lasting change in our lives – both personally and professionally – it’s not what we know, but what we do that matters. Learning new things is fun, exciting, and rewarding. However, until we figure out how to incorporate that new information into our daily lives, it does us very little good.
“ Insight without action makes no difference.”
- Unknown
Next---took Paul to pre school this morning, ran to the bank and then came back to "observe" Paul for about 20 minutes. I saw him, but he did not see me. Gotta love those mirrors! This was "free" time for he and his little friends. I quickly noticed that Paul wanted attention from his teachers. And to get it..he would do things like, throw things off the table onto the floor, take a toy from a friend, etc. Then he did get attention! Each time (before he did it) he looked to the teacher and if she wasn't paying attention to him...cause hello, she was helping another child or children with something at the table, he wanted her attention and WHAM.....he got it alright. He isn't able to verbally express his desire or needs. At one moment he was sitting quietly in the corner reading a couple of books. Trent was about 2 ft from him sitting at a little table reading a book. Ms. Charisse went over to see what Trent was doing and VOILA...I could see it in Paul's eyes and knew exactly what my little boy was about to do....HE wanted her attention too! So, instead of saying something like "look at me," or "me too," he went over to the table and yanked the book away from Trent and Ms. Charisse. And naturally he got reprimanded..kindly of course. Really nothing too atypical of most young kids. Doing something - even aggressive in nature-to obtain attention from their teacher.
Next - I went jean shopping while Paul was in school this morning. Was thrilled to find a pair that flattered my assets...ya know, curves and a back side! :-) If you live here in SA, visit Mary at The Gap (at the Quarry). She was most pleasant and helpful finding the perfect pair for me and my body! Thank you Mary for all your help and patience. You ROCK!
Next - I am not going to finish my bible study homework for tomorrow, b/c I am visiting Paul's new pediatrician at 9:30am! And therefore, will miss CSS. From what I know, this doctor will be able to help me and have good insight into how I can better parent Paul and what, if any, strategies I can share with his teachers to help him not be so dang frustrated when he cannot verbalize things. And Paul will also hopefully be getting some speech therapy!
Let God's light shine big in you today! Let your actions
mirror His actions. Ask God for help! AMEN

No comments: