Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Ministry near and dear to my heart...

Ever heard of STEPHEN MINISTRY?! It is Christian based and our parish has it! If you would like..check out more about it on the national website: http://www.stephenministries.org/

Any who, about 3 years ago I needed a Stephen Minister..aka-Care Giver-and was connected to a wonderful woman at my church who walked with me during my journey. Using many tools and this special, Godly woman, I finally got what God is all about and that I am worth gold..no matter what! I began to pray all the time and found myself wanting to be more like Christ. I don't always do a good job of it..but I try and need to still try harder! I struggled my entire life with self-worth and as a result, found myself in too many situations that I would have rather not endured. Our official caring relationship lasted about 15 months. She was present in the labor room with us and when it was determined I was to have a C-Section..she suited up with Danny and was there in the OR when Master Paul was pulled from my gut. (do you have a mental picture?) So, where is Susan going with this.....

So last year I decided to go thru the SM training and became a Stephen Minister myself. It is a blessing and I am ever so thankful that Monsignor Fater allows this ministry, b/c many priests and pastors do not b/c they want to be the ones who assist their church members. So, Holy Trinity is lucky to have this available to anyone who needs an objective companion to walk with them during a crisis, or even something that just is giving you a hard time. The Holy Spirit really does know what He is doing when he puts people in our lives and matches up the care giver to care receiver. And while people say.."wow...how neat that you are helping someone or you did a great job caring for that person"....truth be told... the Holy Spirit guides us as care givers and places the words in our brains and mouths to share with the person who is hurting. Sometimes, just listening and the uncondtional love/support does a lot for someone who is hurting.

To wrap up this rambling entry for tonight.....I ask those of you who are hurting...in any area of your life....What kind of God are you yearning for? And I know some of you will say.."One that allows me to be in control!"..sorry...just not so! Do you want a God of peace, reconciliation, forgiveness, love? Think about how and when you have encountered Jesus. And finally....often times when we are facing a difficult situation we want and ask God to help us and get us through. We THINK we know what we need from God...but do we really?! Sometimes not. God will reveal himself in ways you never imagined, but you need to be open and aware. And if you surrender to God, the unveiling will be so wonderful...more wonderful that you could have ever imagined! Does any of this make sense?!

And another topic to discuss sometime is feelings. You too men!
For all of you who read this...emulate Christ by recognizing and befriending your feelings. Live for now. Don't live in the "sea" of regret. Herzclitus said, "You cannot step twice into the same river, for other waters are continually flowing on."

Peace be with all of you!

1 comment:

The Pruetz Family said...

Amen to this post, Susan! Stephen's Ministry is amazing and your thoughts are right on the mark...