Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jonah's Prayer

Good morning peeps! For some reason I was ready to rise at 5:30am today. Danny, Paul and Oreo were all still asleep. I had some quiet time and did a reflection. It is very nice to start the day doing this. Do you think I can get up everyday at 5:30 and do this? Maybe...

Ok, at my ACTS meeting on Monday night, we heard the story of Jonah - his prayer..from CH 2. The prayer teaches us many things: 1. obedience to God 2. willingness of spirit 3. gratitude 4. compassion 5. God's mercy 6. God's patience

From the book of Jonah 2: 1-10
"But the LORD sent a large fish, that swallowed Jonah; and he remained in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. From the belly of the fish Jonah said this prayer to the LORD, his God: Out of my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me; From the midst of the nether world I cried for help, and you heard my voice. For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the sea, and the flood enveloped me; All your breakers and your billows passed over me. Then I said, "I am banished from your sight! yet would I again look upon your holy temple." The waters swirled about me, threatening my life; the abyss enveloped me; seaweed clung about my head. Down I went to the roots of the mountains; the bars of the nether world were closing behind me forever, But you brought my life up from the pit, O LORD, my God.
When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; My prayer reached you in your holy temple. Those who worship vain idols forsake their source of mercy. But I, with resounding praise, will sacrifice to you; What I have vowed I will pay: deliverance is from the LORD. Then the LORD commanded the fish to spew Jonah upon the shore."

One thing that came to my mind is where Jonah prayed...in the belly of a whale! How crazy is that really?! This shows us no place is amiss for prayer. AMEN? AMEN!
So, you can pray anytime, anywhere.....amidst the chaos of 3, 4 or 5 children....stuck in traffic.....on an airplane....in the public restroom....in a restaurant....in a bar....at a sports event.....at a concert.....in the car while your son is visiting the horse.....at the office....and even while on Facebook. Go for it!

To quote a commercial and cell phone ad.....Can you hear me now? Do you ever feel that your situation is so hopeless and entangled that God could never bail you out? The belly of the fish is a lot safer place than the depths of the sea. God is moving Jonah through various stages on the way back to following Him.

My thought: as long as you can still pray there is still hope.

Another lesson we can learn from Jonah's prayer is the God of the second chance hears our desperate cries despite the depths of our distress. GOD’S DELIVERANCE IS NOT CONSTRAINED BY THE DEPTHS OF OUR DISTRESS! I have been what I call "down deep in the pit" and every single time...God has delivered me out of it!

And I believe the Lord wants to train us to be merciful instead of judgmental and prideful. Do you agree?

Here are some questions to reflect on...if u are so inclined as to share your answers with me..I would love that! You can do so here...make a comment or to be more private..email me.

1. When have we felt disconnected from God? How have we seen Him still respond to our prayers and pleas for help?
2. How have we learned to be merciful to others from God showing us mercy?
3. What vain idols have we had to turn away from in order to faithfully maintain our loyalty to our God?
4. How are we encouraged by resting in the sovereignty of God – "Salvation is from the Lord"?

Oh my...my cardio class is in one hour.....wish me luck!





2 comments:

Osh said...

Thanks for the shout out Susan! I do pray...lol

Anonymous said...

Susan,

Such great comments about Jonah. You asked some intriging questions at the end - it seems to me that tests of faith are so trying at time they are occuring (mostly because I just don't understand how it will come to pass) but once the trial period is over I can look back and see how God's guidance was perfect every step along the way. It's at the point of reflection that I marvel at His wisdom most and realize how important it is for me to remain patient, steadfast, confident in Him and His saving grace. N. =)