Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One True God

Christian artist Mark Harris sings this very beautiful song - One True God. I just ran a quick errand after my walk and heard it on K-LOVE, and it inspired me to write an entry on my blog.

I know so many people who have a crushed spirit. I get it b/c many times during my life - I have had one too. My faith journey has been truly amazing and so many people have played an important part. I pray each day that I can help others on their faith journey and recognize that God holds us close and we need to turn to Him on a daily basis and not just when we are in trouble or have many worries. He alone is the One True God. Even through everything we all go through - He remains One True God. He carries all of our worries and forgives all of our sins. And He loves us no matter what. I learned this about 5 years ago and it changed me forever.

I am not ashamed to say that I have suffered with depression since oh, about age 13 or 14. It has been a constant battle and will probably continue to be a part of my life --and the life of my family and friends. I am blessed so many people support me and love me no matter what! April 2004 I had a plan to commit suicide. During a meeting with our couples' group one Sunday evening - an Angel tapped me on my shoulder and helped me to divulge my plan for the upcoming Thursday. Basically I learned that I had no self worth and it had been that way for at least 20 years. With the help of many resources - counselor, Danny, an ACTS retreat and a Stephen Minister - I won the battle and starting believing I am worth gold and God loves me no matter what. I also learned that me performance as a Mom, wife, employee did not equate with my self worth and the love God has for me. I wish everyone knew that and lived it!

So many people have a crushed spirit. Whether it is being alone, losing a job, or illness - people are more than ever asking - what now? IS there hope?! I say YES!
Proverbs 18:14 tells us “A man’s spirit sustains him in sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?” Or in the Living Bible it says “what hope is left?”

Each area of our lives requires that we are making deposits of success. Even tiny withdrawals with no replacement deposits will lead to bankruptcy in relationships, physically, spiritually, and socially as well as in jobs and finances. I know that in crisis the area of most pain gets most of our attention. But often it is by making extra deposits in other areas that a person can springboard back to success in even the most critical ones.

Try these things...even just one or two.

Seek out a Godly mentor. Much of the success of AA has been in having another person to call in the lowest times. Don’t isolate yourself. Maintain strong family and friend relationships.

Reduce TV watching and instead read or listen to inspirational material at least 2 hours daily.

Volunteer for a worthy cause. Helping someone else in need is a great way to ease the inward pain.

Forgive everyone in your life. Make peace with your past. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

At the end of each day, complete these two sentences:"Today I am thankful for......""Today my most significant accomplishment was......."

And I know this next one takes a leap of faith in many cases - Match Your Passion to your Work. I am doing just that - finally! I am headed back to teaching in the Catholic Schools and am so excited I cannot even begin to tell you.

Mercy Me has a song titled Bring the Rain. Listen to this and reflect. My spiritual mentor, David, once told me -- and I practice it daily - we need to praise God not only for our successes and good things, but also praise him for our worries and difficulties. I challenge you to do this....and let me know how it changes your spirit and faith. As you climb the praise ladder - keep praising God - even when you hit the dark clouds. Push your way through the dark clouds - keep praising Him and you WILL get through the dark clouds sooner versus later--and reach a beautiful sky with sun and maybe even a rainbow!

Shifting now - Happy Birthday to my high school classmate - Dean Gallagher! I wish you many blessings the upcoming year. Tell me, how does 40 feel brother? I will be there in July.......

I am meeting my Sister in Christ and good friend Rhonda (FB friend too) for lunch. We're going to PF Changs and then I am going back to her house to assist her with some computer and digital picture issues. Yes, Mick - I really am good at this stuff. I just had an off night recently.

Danny should be getting his letter from these people on whether or not he passed his CFP exam in November. On average - only about 52% pass the exam each time it is given - which is 3 times a year in the United States. I know he passed and when he can add those impressive initials after his name - he can charge more for his financial advising! Woo Hoo! Go Danny Go!

No comments: