Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Whatever is Lovely....Think About Such Things

So, what came to your mind? A gentle breeze, birds singing, quiet time with God, time alone with your spouse, chocolate, the beach, a sunset, a sunrise, Susan Niño...... :-)

Oh my - it has been ** days since my last post. All I can say is BUSY BUSY and more BUSY!

I am often accused of being all over the place. This is usually true. I think it stems from multi tasking and using lots of energy! So, this post will be about 2 topics...THE LOVE DARE Journey & Brian Mylar's 50th Birthday Bash!

The Love Dare
Have you seen the movie FIREPROOF yet people?! I have been telling you and others about it for a few months now! And it's not just for marriages on the verge of collapse....for all marriages. And if you sit there and tell me - "please, my marriage is dandy and we have no room for improvement" - yeah, WHATEVER DUDE! Wouldn't you like to enhance your marriage and truly understand unconditional love and fireproof for marriage for the day when you hit a rocky part - cause you will! Unless you are not breathing...... Unconditional Love is eagerly promised at weddings, but rarely practiced in real life. As a result, romantic hopes are often replaced with disappointment. But it does not have to stay that way. Along with the movie, is the book titled....The Love Dare. A 40 day challenge for husbands and wives (and I would say - even those people who are thinking of marriage) to practice unconditional love. Please be aware - this is NOT easy - trust me! I am on day 15 and whew! Each brief chapter has incredible insight and scripture and then the love dare for that day. There are reflection questions and a lines for you to write - or what I call journal. Here are a few things I have read and taken to heart and would like to share with all of you! I suggest reading this stuff over and over and over again! Until you completely understand and go with it!

1. Love is built on two pillars that best define what it is. Those pillars are patience and kindness. One think about Danny that absolutely drives me CRAZY is he is sooooo slow. I often call him Danny the Sloth! I have no patience with him on this.....so I now must have it!

2. Kindness is love in action! There are 4 basic ingredients on kindness.....gentleness, helpfulness, willingness and initiative. Don't wait for your spouse to be kind first - you do it! Love determines to show thoughtful actions even when there seems to be no reward. You will never learn to love until you learn to demonstrate kindness. Personally - this is an area that often baffles me when I hear people talk about the unkind things they say and do to their spouse. What makes you so high and mighty?! Didn't your mother teach you to be kind?!

3. Men - hear this! A woman deeply longs for her husband to be thoughtful. It is a key to helping her feel loved. I do agree with this! Love thinks before speaking. it filters words through a grid of truth and kindness. Uh, Susan often lacks a filters..... do u?!

4. You should constantly look at your spouse as a child of God. God put him/her in your care. Are you doing it? I have been saying over and over..."God gave me Danny & I need to take care of him - always!" And think about this - How does your behavior affect your mate's sense of self worth and self esteem?

5. If you are walking under the influence of love, you will be a joy, not a jerk and annoying to be around. (I have detached myself from people who are not so joyful and oh so negative!) Ask yourself: "Am I the calming breeze, or a storm waiting to happen?" I don't know about you - but I know plenty of people who are the storm...and sometimes it is me!

6. I encourage you to write down positive traits/characteristics of your spouse and keep this in your wallet! When you get annoyed, upset or angry - pull it out and go over it! I bet it changes your state of mind and you get over being angry or hurt quicker!

7. Ok, peeps - hear this one! Have you ever heard someone say......I have fallen out of love with my spouse." What they are really saying is....I never loved them unconditionally to begin with. Love was based on feelings or circumstances rather than true commitment. Unconditional love or AGAPE love - will NOT be swayed by time or circumstance. God loves us no matter what - so, why don't we have that in our marriages?! Practice saying...."I love you period!"

8. Love Fights Fair - I am the master of not doing this. And then I push Danny to his breaking point and he joins in on the whole not fighting fair. Think about this - and do it: deal with your own issues up front. "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" (DANG!) from Matthew 7:3 This verse blew me away! Fighting fair means changing your weapons. Disagree with dignity. It should result in building a bridge instead of burning one down. Love is not a fight, but it is always worth fighting for!

9. Love is honorable - your mate should be holy doesn't mean they are perfect. Holiness means they are set apart fro a higher purpose - no longer common or everyday but special and unique. Your spouse is sacred and should be to you! Remember - HOLY MATRIMONY?! We need to honor and respect our spouse. I might be wrong - but I think men really want respect from their wives - am I right men?! This might be in the top 3 things you want from your wife? Of all the sacrifices - we should sacrifice the most for our spouse. With all our spouse's sins, faults, mistakes and failures - we still need to choose to love and honor them. I know - what Susan? How hard is this going to be. But I think that is how we can really create an atmosphere for love to be rekindled. Think about it - really - think about it! Lead your heart to truly love your mate again. It CAN be done - if you think you no longer love him/her.


Brian Mylar's 50th Surprise Birthday Bash - planned and hosted by his lovely bride and my sweet friend ZZ. This past Saturday @ The Holiday Inn Select. Great food, great friends and when Brian arrived - I think he was taken back by all of us! I would say about 75 people were in attendance. The food was oh so yummy!!!! Drinks - shots, mariachi band..the works! Kudos to ZZ for pulling it off! You can be my party planner any time sister! My shoes were a hit too - they usually are. I am known for cute, super cool and sexy shoes! See below.....these are by Carlos Santana and I love them!! I usually do not take part in tequila shots - but I was coerced by my ACTS brothers and sisters - we are Catholic! I only did 2 though.....yuck!! You should have seen my face and body shiver after each one -- apparently it made everyone laugh! I bet! One gal commented.."Susan, even though you did a tequila shot, ate Mexican food and danced with the mariachis--you are still WHITE - yeah, we know!! Below are several pictures from the evening. Danny and I had a wonderful time! We love our church family and are blessed to have so many couples who share our faith and love and support us - no matter what! Thank you friends - we appreciate you!
Danny and Billy Johnson above and Kathy and Bill Johnson below.
Birthday Boy - Brian Mylar

The donkey became very thirsty around 9pm - so we gave her some drinks!



















3 comments:

Osh said...

I don't see the shoes!

Susan Niño said...

oh--do u want to see them?! I will need to take a pic and post.....they are slammin!!

Osh said...

YES! I want to see them!